Paint by number part ii


Automobile, Enamel, Epoxy primer, HVLP, Paint, transportation

Paint by Number Part II

September 18, 2012

Continuing the previous post where I outlined the steps I took to prep my frame and suspension components for paint.

I chose a two part epoxy primer to be applied directly over the bare metal. The product I had planned on using was from SPI (Southern Polyurethanes). I needed a bunch of other things and instead broke down and used the two part epoxy sold by Eastwood. It was really more of a convenience thing to go to one place combined with my impatience to get the truck done. The items I needed were:

  1. Mixing cups
  2. Paint Stainer
  3. Air pressure regulator at the spray gun
  4. Epoxy primer and catalyst
  5. Wax and grease remover
  6. Tack cloths
  7. Gun cleaning kit

I already had the Chassis black from Bill Hirsch which would be the topcoat.

I cleaned up and thought ahead so things would go smoothly. I learned quite a bit from this first attempt and the results were pretty good. Most of the things I would change had to do with technique or general layout and setup.

Areas where I could improve and realized while painting:

  • Make sure there is plenty of room to get around everything so movements are smooth and linked between sections.
  • I was not getting an even wet coat this was a combination of
    • Pressure at the gun and speed of travel. I set the pressure at the gun at 30 psi (which would be about 10 psi at the tip) but I was getting some dry uneven coverage. I should have increased the pressure a bit and or also should have slowed down the movement of the gun during my passes. When I did do this the paint came out much nicer.
  • More light as it was difficult with the black primer to keep track of where I was at.
  • Plan out movements better before starting this would have helped avoid any errors where the paint finish has a  hose dragged across it or paint is bumped into (only one minor spot).
  • Have a plan for the bottom sections of the frame either brush on the paint, use a smaller gun such as a touch up gun or get the frame higher. Difficult to get good coverage with a gravity feed gun from underneath.

Overall I was happy with the outcome. The HVLP has a very small amount of overspray and the overspray that does occur is basically powder by the time it hits the ground. Contrast this with a rattle can which I did use for my brackets which had overspray everywhere. In the future I’ll definitely go with HVLP.

The frame after epoxy coat and then application of chassis black. The epoxy needed no induction time and I allowed 30 minutes for it to flash before applying the top coats.

Overhead shot of the top spring perch for the Mustang II front end. Notice the paint did not go on as wet as it should have due to my technique. Finish is fine for the frame but I’d be taking it off if this was on the exterior of the car and starting over.

For the brackets I just used enamel out of rattle can. This is the primer coat applied over bare metal that was sanded up to 320 grit.

The painted brackets in John Deer Yellow enamel.

The painted brackets in John Deer Yellow enamel.

From → 1942 Chevy Stakebed, Paint

02. November 2017 by admin
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *